Associated Students of San José State University has been a student-owned and operated non-profit organization for over 100 years. We are committed to providing services and activities that enhance the opportunity to meet, recreate and maximize student life. Opportunities to get involved and obtain leadership skills are among our highest priorities.
The Associated Students (A.S.) Board of Directors represent the student body as their governing council and is made up of 16 members. They are the voice of SJSU students and advocate on their behalf on campus, statewide and national issues affecting them.
The Students' Election Commission (SEC) plans and executes A.S. Elections. To learn more about the SEC, visit http://as.sjsu.edu/asgov/index.jsp?val=c_sec
Students' Election Commission: firstname.lastname@example.org, 408.924.6242 or visit the A.S. House.
Advisor: Diana Ogbevire, Leadership and Government Coordinator, email@example.com, 408.924.6045 or visit the Student Government Office, Diaz Compean Student Union, 2nd Floor, Suite 2300.
ELECTIONS 2018 TIMELINE
Applications available: February 1
Applications due: March 1, 5:00pm, A.S. House
Candidate Application Packet
- Pick-up Candidate Application Packet from the A.S. Student Government Office, Suite 2300 in the Student Union or at the front desk of the A.S. House.
- Read through the ENTIRE application packet and review the Election Regulation Manual and Associated Students Bylaws (located in provided USB stick)
Mandatory Candidate Orientation & Ethics Sessions: Candidates must attend ONE session to be eligible to participate in elections.
- Session #1: Tuesday, February 6, 3-5pm, Student Union, Meeting Room 3A
- Session #2: Thursday, February 15, 11am-1pm, Student Union, Meeting Room 3B
- Session #3: Friday, February 16, 2-4pm, Student Union, Meeting Room 2A
- Session #4: Tuesday, February 20, 9-11am, Student Union, Meeting Room 3A
- Session #5: Wednesday, February 21, 1-3pm, Student Union Meeting Room 3A
- Session #6: Monday, February 26, 11am-1pm, Student Union, Meeting Room 3A
- Session #7: Thursday, March 1, 2-4pm, Student Union, Meeting Room 3B
Official photo: Please plan to have your professional headshot taken at end of the session you attend. If you need to reschedule your photo shoot, please set up an appointment by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org, A.S. Multimedia Associate.
APPLICATIONS DUE: Thursday, March 1, no later than 5pm at A.S. House front desk
Friday, March 9: Candidate Eligibility Notification Deadline
Monday, March 12: Candidate Bios and Voter Information Guide content due by 4pm to email@example.com
Friday, March 16: Accountability Forms due by 5pm
CAMPAIGNING BEGINS: Monday, March 19
Voter Information Guide (VIG) Available: Monday, March 19 online and Thursday, March 22 in print
Wednesday, April 4: Candidate endorsements due by 5pm (endorsements are accepted throughout campaigning and added to the online VIG as they are received)
Mandatory Candidate Events: Candidates must attend 3 out of 4 events, including Debates
- Elections Kickoff Event: Tuesday, March 20, 12–3pm, 7th Street Plaza. Kickoff this year's election season, meet fellow candidates and get endorsements!
- Meet the Candidates Event: Wednesday, April 4, 11–2pm, Smith-Carlos Lawn
- Candidate Debates: Monday, April 9, 5-7pm, Diaz Compean Student Union, Meeting Room 4B. Debate with fellow candidates about important campus issues!
- Elections Results Party: Thursday, April 12, 12:00pm – 1:30pm, Smith/Carlos Lawn
VOTING: April 9 - 12
Voting begins: Monday, April 9, 7pm (immediately following the Candidate Debates)
Voting ends: Thursday, April 12, 8am (results announced 12-1:30pm at Smith/Carlos Lawn)
Elections Results Party, Thursday, April 12, 12 –1:30pm, Smith/Carlos Lawn