Commuter Benefit

Pre-Tax Commuter Benefit Program for SJSU Employees


Commuter Check logo

Administered by SJSU Parking Services, the pre-tax Commuter Benefit Program allows eligible SJSU employees to defer up to $255 (effective January 1, 2016) per month tax-free (Pre-tax Commuter Benefit) for the purchase of transit passes and vanpool costs. The Associated Students Transportation Solutions provides information and consulting for the Commuter Benefit Program.

Once enrolled, deductions are taken from your pay before Federal, State, Social Security, and Medicare taxes are calculated. Your taxable income is reduced, thereby reducing the taxable income reflected on your annual W-2 statement.


Is it for you?

You should consider signing up for Commuter Benefit Program if you are a regular rider on:

  • AC Transit (Alameda - Contra Costa counties)
  • Altamont Corridor Express (ACE)
  • Amtrak (Capitol Corridor)
  • BART
  • Caltrain
  • East Bay County Connection
  • Highway 17 Express
  • Livermore Amador Valley Transit Authority
  • Monterey-Salinas Transit
  • Union City Transit
  • Vanpool
  • other Bay Area bus and ferry systems
Do not sign up for this program if you ride exclusively on VTA using the AS-SJSU Eco Pass Clipper card.


You are eligible to participate in the Commuter Benefit Program if you are:

Executive, Management Personnel Plan (MPP), Confidential or other non-represented State employee position, faculty or staff or covered by a collective bargaining agreement that provides the benefit.

Rehired annuitants and employees under the Faculty Early Retirement Program (FERP) are NOT eligible to participate.

You must be in a position that can participate in the Plan through payroll deduction.

The following employees are NOT eligible:
  • Student assistants
  • Full time and part time employees of any SJSU auxiliary organization, which includes Associated Students, Student Union, Spartan Shops, and SJSU Foundation. Auxiliary organizations have a separate payroll system from the rest of the University.
If you have questions about eligibility, contact Denny Yau at SJSU Parking Services Department. Telephone: 408.924.2219 or Email:

How to enroll?

Read the Commuter Benefit Program Information 2016, or 2017. Then, contact Claudia Martinez, Parking Office Coordinator, at SJSU Parking Services, Telephone: 408.924.6567 or Email: to enroll in the program. The Commuter Benefit orders and payroll deductions are processed on a monthly basis. The amount that you signed up to receive in Commuter Benefits will be automatically deducted from your pay each month.

In order to change or cancel your Commuter Benefit plan, you must contact SJSU Parking Services located at the South Garage lobby.


How does it work?

You can either pick up your Commuter Check vouchers at SJSU Parking Services or receive them by mail at the address indicated on your application form.

No refunds will be given on any unused portion of your deduction or any unused Commuter Benefit vouchers.

If a ticket or a pass costs more than the value of your vouchers, you must pay the difference. If you buy a ticket or a pass that costs less than the value of your vouchers, the difference cannot be returned as change or merchandise.

Each Commuter Check voucher is valid for 13 months. Expired Commuter Checks will not be accepted or replaced.

Clipper Card

If you have a registered Clipper card, you can load cash or passes onto it using your Commuter Check benefits. You can add value to your Clipper card online using your Commuter Check Direct account. Look for the Clipper option when you log in to your account. Your value will be available by the first of the benefit month. You must tag your card to a card reader in order to load the value. For more information visit Commuter Check/Clipper Card .

This pre-tax benefit is available only through payroll deduction for public transportation as defined by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and available in the bay area.

Pre-tax commuter benefits are governed by Internal Revenue Service Code Section 132(f)(2)(A) which is subject to Congressional action and/or IRS cost-of-living adjustments.