|Bicycling to SJSU|
Bicycling can be a convenient and dependable form of transportation. It is also the transportation mode that you can get a work-out with. The Silicon Valley is an ideal place to commute by bicycling - with its mild weather and relatively flat topography.
Bicycling is ideal for trips about 3-miles or less. However, you can combine bicycling with transit for longer trips. All buses, light rail and regional rail that serve SJSU accommodate bicycles.
|Find your route to SJSU|
• Interactive Santa Clara County Bikeways Map
• Santa Clara County Bikeways Map - 2005 edition (Courtesy of VTA).
• 511 Bikemapper - Interactive Bay Area bicycle map
• Silicon Valley Bicycle Coalition Maps
In addition, you can use the Trip Plan/Carpool Match form to request a safe bicycle route.
Other Bay Area counties:
• San Francisco - Bike map
• East Bay (western Alameda and Contra Costa counties, from Richmond to Fremont) - Bike map
|About your bike|
Whether your bike is new or old, its gears, chain, brakes and tires must be in good working order.
|Where can you bike on campus?|
According to the SJSU Presidential Directive 2007-06, bicycles are allowed on most pathways except where appropiate dismount signs are posted, or when there's no clear path due to crowding. Bicyclists are expected to follow these "common courtesy" rules:
1. Always yield to pedestrians.
2. Drive at an appropriate speed according to existing conditions, not to exceed the campus speed limit for all vehicles of five (5) mph.
3. Drive in an appropriate manner that does not interfere with pedestrians or campus facilities vehicular traffic.
4. Walk vehicle when there is no clear path ahead, such as when a walkway is too crowded with pedestrians or other obstructions.
5. Do not ride in an acrobatic or stunting manner, i.e. activities causing one or more sets of wheels to leave the ground or other surfaces intended for pedestrian or vehicular travel.
6. Do not ride on stairs; ramps, railings, vegetation, benches, tables, planters, or other surface not intended for vehicular travel.
7. Do not ride inside University buildings.
8. Dismount and walk vehicle where appropriate signs are posted. Posted dismount areas will be in high pedestrian traffic areas with small or obstructed pathways.
|Where can you park your bike at SJSU?|
You can park your bike in any one of the six Bicycle Enclosures operated by Transportation Solutions for free, or in any open bike rack provided adjacent to most campus buildings. To park inside Bicycle Enclosures, sign up for an access key at the Transportation Solutions center. Your SJSU Tower Card ID and $10 deposit for the access key is required.
It is recommended to park your bike inside any one of the Bicycle Enclosures using a strong U-lock.
It is illegal to lock bicycles to railings, benchs, poles, trees, tables, or park bikes anywhere that might block an exit to a building or office. The University Police will impound the bikes in violation.
The open bike racks are purchased by UPD Parking Services and maintained by SJSU Facilities Development and Operation.
Return to top